Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Self Portrait/Poster

As I've talked about in other posts, I am heavily influenced by color. I knew I wanted to play with bright colors. I ended up having over 30 different color schemes I was picking from but wanted to go with this honey and chocolate feeling.

I also decided to use the Curvature Tool rather than the regular pen tool, because it works better for me and I feel that it gives me more organic lines with a better flow.

When I got the idea to work with the propaganda of "Bee Kind" I had wanted to include bees as well as a honey-like melting in the portrait. I had planned to do this once the face was outlined and ready to go, but when I finished the outline I liked where it was. I decided to include the shirt but not have it so obviously a shirt because there is a lot going on throughout the poster and I felt like too much detail could take away from the honeycomb design and actual portrait.

The hair was a lot of fun to create, though it was probably the most time-consuming. It's created in many different layers, some behind the face and some in front of it. The gradient was added at the end to give it a bit more life rather than leaving it flat.

For the shadows and highlights, I continued to use the curvature tool and created shapes on top of where these spots would be in the actual picture. Once they were created, I changed the layers to soft light and 60% opacity. This gave a softer look and allowed me to layer the spots for deeper shadows or brighter areas.

Overall I'm really happy with how this work has come out. Let me know what you think!

(color schemes):

(reference):


9 comments:

  1. I love this! The detail included in all the different aspects of your self-portrait/propaganda poster is incredible. Not only did you add proper texture throughout the piece (particularly with your hair), you also added proper shading as well. The theme you have with honey and "bee kind" is consistent and really well done. If I had to talk about anything I would change or do differently to be even more in line with theme of "beeing kind" would be to literally add a few bees here and there within the piece itself. If there was one other thing that I would change it would be to add a stroke to the various shadings in your in face and throughout the rest of the piece in order to make the shading more pronounced.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt! I had originally wanted to add some bees as well but was worried it would be too....... busy (there's a pun in there, I swear it's funny!)

      No but really, I would like to maybe revisit and add some bees or honey textures to make it fit a little more with the theme... thanks for the feedback!!!

      Delete
  2. This turned out amazing! I love the details in the background, the color scheme, and the details in the face and hair. You clearly are familiar with illustrator, and this really shows your creativity and talent with the software! The only recommendation I could make is to maybe make the lines on the text a little bolder to make them pop a little more, maybe bringing more navy blue into those lines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! I hadn't done this kind of portrait style in a very long while so it was really fun to get back into it! I agree, more blue in the text would have helped for sure... thanks again!!

      Delete
  3. wow! I think you did an amazing job on this! I would agree with you and say that your color choice here is incredibly strong and I think that it's a very nice composition that's easy on the eyes while still being bold. I think that it's very interesting that you carried the honeycombs outside of the artboard. Also I think that you have an impressive use of gradients in this image which adds a good deal of depth and keeps the image interesting. I agree with Amanda, I think that adding a bit more to the blue lines in the text would help the image pop a bit more. It also could've been fun if you added some droplets of honey coming off the bottom of the text. Overall I think that you have a great piece here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I had actually originally wanted to do the text in a honey-like texture, but my time and attention-span told me I should avoid it haha
      But thank you so much for the comment and I agree, the blue would have helped with the text for sure

      Delete
  4. WOW, I love this!! Your self-portrait is very impressive! Your talent and creativity show with this software. I love how the honeycombs run off the template. Also, the contrast between the navy and yellow, with the gradients, is very aesthetically please for the piece. If I had to make a recommendation, I would say add more navy to the letter to make them pop. Other than that, this is OUTSTANDING!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Molly!!! I appreciate your comment so much!!! You're right I think the navy would probably help the lettering stand out quite a bit more... thank you again!!

      Delete
  5. Michaela, I love the vibrant colors and 3D effect in this! I think it really shows that you put a lot of thought and effort into this project. Looking back at it, do you have any things you would change or add? This turned out so good though from the smooth meshing of honey and chocolate colors, to the detailed lines and shapes on your face, this image showcases the work of a talented artist!

    ReplyDelete