Monday, March 16, 2020

Logo of Me


 The Logo of Me is a combination of lines and curves used to represent me. I formed the design by breaking down one of my favorite quotes into the most basic forms and combining those in multiple ways before coming up with a symbol I was happy with. I learned how to do this while I was studying sigils a few years back and took my own take on the method.

Method to sigil making:
Step 1: Create a quiet, distraction-free environment.

Step 2: Quiet your mind.

Step 3: Write down your goal or desire as a sentence.

(The sentence I chose was a quote from one of my favorite childhood poets, Shel Silversteen. The quote is "...and all the colors I am inside have not been invented yet.” I feel this quote very much represents me, as I define my life and feelings in colors very often. To make it easier on myself, I focused on the two bolded words because I wanted to resonate with the idea of having a world of different colors inside myself.)

Step 4: Strike out all the vowels. (Optional: Strike out duplicate consonants.)

Step 5: Rewrite the remaining letters in a jumble.

Step 6: Rearrange the letters until you have a new symbol.



Later on, while looking at my logo, I realized that it also represented a few other very meaningful things to me. If you look at the process sketches and variations below, you may see what looks like a figure rising and dancing out of a fountain. (That's what I see anyway.) But this is something that I found powerful because it represents how I am constantly working on myself and growing. Music, color, and growth are concepts that have helped me better myself a lot in the past year.


Looking at the symbol even further I realized I was able to pinpoint a few of the letters that I use in my design pen-name: Misimdo. This name was created so that I could post my art free of having my own identity tied to it. However, Misimdo is actually my name broken down and combined into one word! (Michaela Simone Dooley.)

I've always liked coming up with creative designs like this that hold a lot of meaning. I feel like this design is one that I will start to use to define my art more, like a signature. So if you see something with this symbol hiding in the corner, go ahead and give me a wave!

No comments:

Post a Comment