Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Autoscopy




I had many ideas when I initially started this Autoscopy project: turning myself into a glass, making my face out of flowers... I had other concepts as well but ended up going with this one.

I turned myself into a bust type of vase, made of china and fused together in a style of Kintsugi.


Just as most of my projects, I wanted to focus on the idea of re-building and mending myself. Self-love and growth are definitely themes that I would say fuel my inspiration. Kintsugi is a really great example of taking something that is broken or in pieces and creating something with more value.

The flowers are bright and colorful, also representing growth. Marigolds are my birth flower, so I felt that it was a personal touch on my already personal piece.

The shadow behind the bust doesn't follow the shadow of the flowers, because I wanted it to represent the shadow of self.

This all goes along with the philosophy that we have certain aspects we try to keep to ourselves, or hide from the world and other aspects that we aim to flourish and present ourselves as.

The background checkered print is from a marble chess set... Chess was always something that I enjoyed, as it is a pastime with loved ones and a way to challenge the mind.

At first, I wasn't happy with where this project was going... But after some time, it started to grow on me. I know I still have a lot to learn, especially in photoshop, but I am happy with where this project ended.

Time to complete: 5 hours

6 comments:

  1. Feedback:
    1. I like how you added a cool background.
    I like how you almost look like a vase.
    2. Maybe blend/blur the lines at the top of the head so it doesn't look so drastic between the face and flowers.
    I think it would've been nice to see more of the gold accents you added (they were a really great touch, would've loved to see more).
    3. It reminds me of something that the artist Frida Kahlo would've done

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah I appreciate it, thank you! And I agree, I should have added more gold, can't ever have too much!

      Delete
  2. Michaelaaaa, I'm so happy with how this turned out because I know how stumped you were when coming up with ideas for this project. The flowers remind me of Frida Kahlo and I love how that is your only source of color in this it catches my eye every time. One thing I would suggest to fix would be to maybe allow the flowers to droop over your forehead so that the line between the flowers and forehead wasn't so drastic. Other than that I think this looks beautiful and you did a great job as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh thank you Andrea!!! I felt that you'd particularly like the flowers (they're bright and sunny, just like you!) Thank you for the feedback!!

      Delete
  3. I love your autoscopy. You did a great job, it look so unique and surreal. The flowers as your hair are a great touch that add a really nice pop of color to it. I just want to know where on earth you thought to do this really amazing idea?! All in all its awesome, maybe if you were to change anything you could make your face and neck have an outline of some sort because i feel like it blends into the background a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jacoby! I had actually started with a completely different idea (that ended up being a little too ambitious) but I had to change course and thought it would be interesting to incorporate the idea of the gold melding... I'm all about positive change and growth and really believe that new and beautiful things can be created from something that might not be whole or may be a little broken. I definitely see what you mean with the lack of the outline, and it makes it a little hard to see where the bottom ends and bg begins, thank you for the feedback!

      Delete